Map of medieval Japan
Japan's early culture was influenced by China and Korea. In the Heian period (800s - 1100s), a golden age of Japanese culture occurred. After the Heian period, the Japanese created a military society.
Objectives of this section
- Learn the significance of Japan's proximity to China and Korea and the intellectual, linguistic, religious and philosophical influence of those countries on Japan
- Learn about the development of Shintoism and Buddhism in Japan
- Learn about the influences nobles had on Heian's golden age of Art
- Learn about the emergence of samurai and shogun
- Learn about the life and culture of the samurai
- Learn about strong military leaders (i.e. Nobunaga, Tokugawa), and how they took over and reunified Japan.